Friday, January 18, 2008

Introducing the critters

Welcome to my blog. For the past few years I have been volunteering for animal sanctuaries and writing about my experiences with the animals on their blogs and in private emails. It's time to create my own blog, even though I am a technophobe who has very few computer skills.

Let me introduce myself and my family. I am a fifty-something slave to seventeen animals - three dogs, one cat, one alpaca, and 12 potbellied pigs. In my other life, I teach sociology (mostly gender and family studies) to college and university students. But my passion is the animals - they are my companions, my friends, my confidantes, my family.

Charley is my border collie/rough collie cross. She was purchased as a puppy from a backyard breeder before I knew better. She is 10 1/2 years old, a laid back black and white girl who likes to police the others, making sure they abide by the rules. She is chief cop and tattle tale.

Caleb is my pitti/lab/shep cross. He is about five years old and was adopted in May 2007. He has a sad history - his first mama died, and her boyfriend who took on Caleb and his canine family abused and neglected them. Eventually the SPCA seized the animals. Caleb sat there for seven months before a friend of mine alerted me to how incredibly sweet he was and how much he needed a home. He is a gem, quiet and serious and protective of those he loves.
Sadly, he was recently diagnosed with lymphosarcoma - cancer of the lymph nodes - and I am currently on a steep learning curve to help build his immune system.

Belle is my 12 year old deaf sheltie. She just came to me through a rescue organization in December, after spending her life with a senior pair. Her human dad passed away and the mom needed to return to family in another country to be cared for. Belle has pancreatitis, but is doing well with a carefully managed diet.

I have a fourth dog, Emma, who is a three year old yellow lab. She is the happiest dog I have ever known! Emma lives with my ex and I have visitation rights. We obtained Emma as a pup and I stayed home for the first 9 months training her. She is a very sweet beautiful girl and I would love to have her with me.

Allie is my cat, a tortoiseshell obtained from the SPCA as a kitten. She is now about six. Allie has a great personality, full of curiousity and mischief, and she particularly likes to torment Caleb.

Martin, the alpaca, was abandoned by a previous tenant on the land I currently rent. Martin is about 8-10 and lived most of his life under a tree in the back acreage. He now eats from my hand, has a shelter near the barn, and has lots of hay and grain and fresh fruit. He is now a member of my family and will not be abandoned again.

And then there are the piggies. I volunteer with Hearts on Noses Pig Sanctuary in Maple Ridge BC (www.heartsonnoses.com). Last June they received a call from the SPCA. Could they take on two adult potbellies who were part of a large seizure for animal neglect and cruelty? The sanctuary had no room, but I had a barn stall not being used so with the help of others we built a pen and brought in the pigs, who I named Scotch and Soda. What we hadn't known at the time was Soda's impending pigbirth - on July 28th she gave birth to a phenomenal 12 piglets (most potbellies have 4-6). Sadly one died just after birth and one the next day, but I am now fostering not only the parents but 10 healthy, noisy piglets - nine males and one female. Needless to say, all have been spayed or neutered! The piglets are Tom, Toddy, Fizz, Spritzer, RoyRoy, Whisper, Lizzie, Derby, Rickey, and Swizzle.

And that makes my family. The stories of their antics will fill these pages, as well as a few other reflections of life.

Welcome.

No comments: