Monday, July 26, 2010

The Early Bird Catches the.........

SNAKE??????

Now that I have shamefully desecrated our back lane (sorry, Liz!!!!!) by having the triffids destroyed, I have a little gap between the bottom of my fence and the ground. This morning I watched in amusement as the little (shhhhhh.....invasive species) house sparrow who lives in my birdhouse stealthily hopped along the fence line, seemingly stalking something.




Thinking the dirt, so recently stirred up by the Triffid Tamer, may be offering a breakfast buffet of worms and bugs, I crept closer to see what had so captured the sparrow's attention.

He was stalking THIS:



WHOA, little birdy, that may feed your whole family of newly hatched babies for a year, but I really don't think you want to wrestle with it. Your babies might end up orphaned!

After following the snake for a good 20 feet or more, the bird took a little nip at its tail (which, of course, my camera did not capture), and the snake slithered away at top speed.

Birdy, you have great courage to take on such a formidable foe. I shall call you David. Hopefully, Goliath has learned his lesson and will not be back.

1 comment:

EvenSong said...

What a brave little birdie! Maybe a little out of his weight class, tho...