Thursday, February 28, 2008

What a difference a few supplements make!


Belle, my 12 year old recently adopted sheltie, was quite crippled with arthritis when she first came into rescue. She was put on Deramaxx, which really helped her mobility but exacerbated her pancreatitis. I took her off the Deramaxx, fed her a super-premium quality food, made sure she got her daily exercise, and she seemed to do fine for a while.

Then she started having difficulty walking again. It got worse and worse within a very short time. So I emailed a friend who has shelties and knows lots about supplements and doggy health care, and I took Belle to my holistic vet. One week ago I started her on a high quality fish oil and glucosamine hydrochloride. Five days ago I added blue-green algae, acidophilus, full spectrum plant enzymes, and something called vetamino.

The change is astounding. She not only walks the pasture easily twice a day, but this morning she was racing up and down the hallway, chasing the cat at full tilt - not once, but three times!!

Allie is not amused. She prefers the less mobile version of Belle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely picture of Belle. Hope she continues to do well on the supplements. Hmmm. I wonder if they work on humans. I might have to try them myself.


Big Sis (& O'Bear)

Anonymous said...

If it will help Big Sis run up and down the hall I want to know where to get those suppliments


Innoscent & group

Jean said...

Ha ha - Innocent, we'll have Big Sis running circles around you in no time!!!
They are human-grade supplements from the healthfood store - well, except the fish oil which I special order, but you can get fish oil capsules at the healthstore.
I have no idea if they are as effective on people as they are on Belle!

Anonymous said...

Lovely photo of a lovely dog. Glad to hear she's getting around better!

Sharon