Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Belle the Shetland Sheep(Pig)dog


Shelties, also known as Shetland Sheepdogs, were traditionally used for herding sheep. We don’t have any sheep here (though my landlord has tried to persuade me to get some in order to keep the pasture trimmed), but we do have pigs.

And today was Belle’s first time intermingling with the piggies. I won’t go so far as to say she was actually “herding” them (and Janice the piggy lady would have my head if I did let the dogs chase the piggies around willy-nilly), but she certainly demonstrated the instinct is there!

At first she cautiously approached them and measured them, observing that they are a bit bigger and a lot heavier than she is. Then she got a little friendlier, checking out their butts and snouts, and ending with a sharp Sheltie bark to say “HI!”
And then as the piggies started their usual games of chase and root and snuffle and chase some more, Belle decided to join in the act.

"Watcha finding there?"


As little piggies tore around the yard, Belle was right there – but instinct took over as she moved to the outside of the herd and gently eased them closer together by running in a circular motion. They, of course, were oblivious since they were just a bunch of very happy, lively piggies playing tag with each other, quite comfortable in the presence of my dogs.

Next she decided to check out Scotch. Not such a good idea, Belle – he’s MUCH bigger than you and much pushier when he wants to be. She barked a time or two until Scotch started to get a bit huffy, at which point I picked her up and moved her away.

Belle meets Scotch

And then I learned something about my deaf little Belle. I had been trying to get her to sit using a gentle hand on her back end. But as I went to lift her from Scotch, I put my hand on her chest just back of her front legs and she went into a perfect sit! Coincidence? Nope – I tested it out five times over the next ten minutes, and every time I put my hand on her chest, she sat ever so nicely!!

Not only did she sit, but she then understood that she must STAY sitting until I signaled for her to come. And so, we had it – Belle sitting perfectly still while the pigs hovered around her, no more barking or chasing or trying to nudge them. She sat, she watched, she only got up when I gave her the “come” sign.

Sitting with the piggies


And so she has now graduated to being out in the yard with Charley and the pigs and me. What a good girl!!!

"This is fun"

No comments: