Sunday, March 16, 2008

Meeting Macy

Macy sitting proudly

I pulled into the driveway of Macy’s foster home just after 1:00. It seemed strange not to have my own dogs in the car with me, but this was to be Macy’s afternoon.

As I mentioned in an earlier blog entry, Macy is Caleb’s littermate, taken in the same SPCA seizure and adopted well before I met Caleb. But later she was given up by her adopter and so she is now being fostered under the auspices of Bully Buddies rescue. I met Macy a week or so ago, and she is every bit as sweet as Caleb. There is something about bully and bully/mix breeds that just charms me no end and never fails to make me smile. It has something to do with that solid, serious, quiet, calm character housed in a wiggly-butt, ever-grinning, mushy, kissy, soft old lovebug of a body.

I miss my Caleb, and so Bully Buddies suggested I take Macy for outings – giving her a bit of extra exercise and attention while she waits for the right forever home to come along (or for me to decide that one more dog is not really one too many!).

Macy hopped happily into my car and off we went for an adventure. At first she peered a bit anxiously out the window but a few pieces of dried duck breast and she decided I was an okay person and this was a good place to be.

We met up with my friend Ellen and her dogs and discovered an absolutely wonderful park with tons of great trails, a beautiful creek, tall trees, little wooden bridges, rich green moss, and – best of all – NO people!!! With the exception of a dad and his kids and lab who we saw in the distance at the playground, we didn’t see a soul all afternoon – in fact, the parking lot was empty! What a great place.

Ellen with Macy, Kinley and Toby

Macy had a blast. I suspect she would have liked to run off leash, but that wasn't in the game plan. I forgot to bring my 30’ training leash, but she gamely trotted along on the 6’ leash and even managed to splash in the creek.

She’s a wonderful sweet dog who gets along with other dogs, cats, and kids. In no time at all she was practically dragging me along the trails, head high, tail wagging, nose wiggling, as happy to spend a little time with me as I was with her.

For more information on Macy and other great bully-breed dogs, check out Bully Buddies website – oh, and be sure to check out their new blog!

Happy Macy

No comments: