Friday, April 11, 2008

A gift that keeps on giving


When I first moved to this property, almost three years ago, my daughter gave me a unique and wonderful gift – an envelope containing hundreds of ladybugs. Together, we went into my garden and opened the envelope to set them free. The vision of hundreds of beautiful red bugs flying out of the package and across my garden is something I shall never forget.

We watched as they lit upon my flowers and shrubs, where they would keep the aphid population under control and thrive in their own natural world. And thrive they did. Last spring, and again this spring, I have been blessed with the hatching of hundreds of ladybugs – inside my house. Rarely is there a day when I am not collecting and releasing outdoors 20-30 of the beautiful bugs.

This morning I found one on my pillow as I made my bed and one was hitching a ride on Sadie’s back. Several more are climbing around the patio door, several are in the bathroom sink, and a few are checking out my one and only houseplant. I don’t mind at all, because they are my favourite bugs and even the young are quite gorgeous and grow quickly from little brown and black babies to beautiful red and black teens. In fact, it was one of my most favourite gifts ever and I think of my beautiful daughter each time I release a ladybug into my yard.

I must say, though, that I am very grateful my daughter didn’t choose to give me an envelope with hundreds of spiders. There are already enough of those, in all shapes and sizes, in this old house!

1 comment:

Colleen said...

What an incredibly thoughtful gift you were given!

You left me with a beautiful vision...thanks.