Monday, April 28, 2008

Rainy Day Blahs

My good intentions to finish off a garden area and to thoroughly rake and clean the pigs yard today flew out the window when I woke up to pouring (and I mean pouring!) rain this morning.

You'd think I would easily just move on to one of the other tasks either inside the barn or in the house. But no, it is just that sort of day when nothing much gets done and my body and brain seem too tired to function.

Of course, that could be attributed to a poor night's sleep because a certain cat kept trying to sleep wherever my lower back or knees wanted to be, and a certain sheltie kept getting up and sighing and hawwing and humming as she tried to make up her mind which of the many beds and crates to sleep in. Sometimes there is more activity in this house at night than in a shopping mall the day before Christmas.

I did attempt to make some cookies today. I'm sure the piggies will be happy because they will be the beneficiaries of my not-so-successful attempt. I have been craving peanut butter cookies for a few weeks now and have a ton of peanut butter to use up; peanut butter is not something I eat often, and when I do want it, it has to be FRESH - so I end up with a lot of half-full jars in the cupboard.

So today I decided to make peanut butter cookies. I found a recipe which made use of a lot of bits and pieces in my cupboard (molasses, peanut butter, seeds and nuts, unbleached flour) and didn't require anything I didn't already have. Problem is, I think the recipe called for 'way too much molasses, because that is the ONLY thing I can taste - it is overpowering. And not very pleasant. And there's no flavour of peanut butter at all. But I know a dozen piggies that love molasses and love cookies so they won't go to waste.

Meanwhile, I'm invited out for dinner tonight and have nothing to take for the hosts since I was going to take a container of fresh homemade cookies. And I'm too lazy today to go find anything original or to make some other cookies. And I still have to clean up the dishes and messy kitchen, the result of making "molasses-with-untasteable-peanut-butter" cookies.

So instead I'll post a picture I took in my garden yesterday, cheer everyone up with these beautiful blossoms on old wood, and dedicate it to my dinner hosts.

For you, Ann and Ken:



(And the blossoms are a lot less fattening than the cookies would be!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jean,

Your blossoms are beautiful! Yes I agree with you about the weather, it's been very "fall like weather."
I thought I woke up to fall again and somehow missed the whole summer, O.K. I was very sleepy. I try to have a plan A (outdoor) and plan B(indoor) for this time of year, although sometimes it's a hit and miss.
I bet the piggies loved the "too much molasses peanut butter" cookies.
Oh! and those pics of gorgeous Sadie in the city were great!
Thanks for sharing!

Lou