Tuesday, June 9, 2009

From Fraser Valley to Cowichan Valley



This will be my last entry from the beautiful Fraser Valley, on the mainland of southwestern BC. Although the Big Move is not until Thursday, the cable people will be here early tomorrow morning to pick up the digital phone box and disconnect the cable and internet. And so, my next blog entry will be from our new home on Vancouver Island.

I have moved often in my life. The longest move, in terms of distance, was when I was five and my family moved from England to the west coast of Canada. The shortest move, in terms of distance, was when I was 19, and I moved from one apartment in New Westminster to another just a few blocks away. I’ve lived in Alberta, and in the Northwest Territories. I’ve lived in several communities in southwestern BC. I’ve lived in apartments and houses in big cities and small towns. I’ve lived in old homes and newer ones in suburbs and on acreages. And if one considers my summertime explorations, I’ve even lived with nothing but the stars for my ceiling and the forest for my walls.

But of all the places I’ve lived, none have delighted me as much as this five acres of heaven, with its views of mountains and valley, its trees and flowers and wildlife, its delicious sense of freedom for the dogs and myself. Here I had the opportunity to foster potbellied pigs and care for an abandoned alpaca; here I fostered a palliative old shepherd cross named Isaac, and here I helped my sweet, sweet Caleb to pass. Here I watched bears from my window, and coyotes from my pasture gate. And here I saw my Charley become a free spirit, and I welcomed Sadie and Oliver and Belle into my life and my heart.

And yet, on Thursday I shall trade the pasture walks for seawalks, the sounds of coyotes ki-yi-yi-ing for the sounds of seals barking, the cries of Northern flickers and pileated woodpeckers for the cawing and calling of seagulls.

Life is an adventure, and as the critters and I bid farewell to this precious piece of land, we step boldly and happily into a future of new sights and new sounds, of new places to explore, new discoveries to make, new friends to meet. Memories of our life here on the farm will always be cherished, old friendships will continue even though the frequency of getting together will change, and all the experiences that I have had these past few years – both those that have brought joy and those that have brought pain – are tucked away in my heart and have shaped the woman I am now and the woman I am still becoming.

And so, as I start yet another chapter of my life, I feel much like I did when I was fourteen years old backpacking the McAlester Pass in the North Cascades of Washington State, or in my mid-forties hiking the amazing mountain crest trails of Cathedral Provincial Park in BC – I am loving the experience and can’t wait to see what tomorrow will bring.

Life is good.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jean, you are amazing. :) Just that. I heart you so, my friend.

Is that a perfect photo or what? Beautiful, moving post. Thanks for writing that.

xo,
NN+MP

Karen said...

Very poignant. Jean, I wish you and your four-legged companions every happiness as you begin this new chapter in your life. I hope the remainder of the move goes smoothly for you.

Janice Gillett said...

Reading your posts makes me feel heavy hearted. I had an overwelming desire to cry. I know we never saw each other that much considering the herds we were both taking care of. But you being there was a comfort to me . Like an anchor to the madness here ;o))
But i didn't cry because your words are full of happiness, hope and new adventures.
I know you will still be here in the cyber world but i want you to know, it will not be the same for me.

Anonymous said...

Jean what a beautiful and moving entry. A new chapter of your life is opening and I hope it will be a happy and forfilling one.
I was a beautiful sunrise over Saltspring this morning.

Else

Anonymous said...

Although I understand how hard it is to leave a place you have grown to love so much and have called home .... WE - (Possum and I) are very excited about your new adventure in "our neck of the woods". We look forward to meeting you and "the kids" face to face (nose to _ _ _ _ ).

As a fellow Islander - I say "Welcome"

xo Katherine and Possum

Anonymous said...

Dear Jean,

I read your post first thing this morning and shed a tear. A selfish tear, because I will miss your presence in the lower mainland, not so far from where I live.

I had to think about what I wanted to say to you, and - I want you to know that you and your life are a source of strength and encouragement for me - you willingly take on new challenges, and embrace change. You don't worry about what life brings your way - you look forward to new challenges and adventures.

Thank you for sharing your five acres of heaven with us "herding dog moms" (which includes honorary whippets and their mom!) - those were very special times and I shall always remember them. And now I will look forward to times together, in a new place.

I wish you and your lovely family - Charley, Sadie, Belle, Oliver and Alley, happiness in your new home. And of course can't wait to read about your adventures there!

Hugs,
Sharon and Crystal

Patience-please said...

I have travelled that path! Or a parallel one. Enjoy every step. And thank you for sharing your journey.

Black Jack's Carol said...

Yes, a perfect photo and a beautiful expression of appreciation for your "five acres of heaven" as you move on to a new life adventure. All the best with your move! I look forward to reading all about it in your next post.