Friday, July 3, 2009

Babies!

I was sitting in the backyard with the dogs this morning, watching the sparrows come and go from the birdhouse that hangs under the eaves of the shed.

I suspected there were babies inside, as mama and papa have been busily flying back and forth and back and forth for a few days now. Sure enough, mama arrives with a wee worm for the little ones.




She feeds them, and flies off again. I move a bit closer to see if I can hear the babies chirping .......when all of a sudden, SURPRISE! Three little baby birds poke their heads out the hole to say hello!


Who's out there?

(Click on any picture to enlarge, then use back browser to return to blog)

They looked around for a minute, opening and closing their humungous mouths which seem several sizes too large for their funny little heads.

Where'd mama go?

Is she coming back yet? I'm huuuungggrry!!!


She's taking FOREVER!

Posing for a photoshoot is hard work, and soon they were nodding off, heads resting on the edge of the hole and on each other.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ


I backed off as mama and papa returned to the nearby apple tree. Soon they cautiously approach the birdhouse.

Shhhhh! We're being watched!

Yum! Worms!


Later in the day, a doe with two very tiny spotted fawns crossed the road right in front of me as I drove into town. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me. Such sweet babies - still wobbly long legs and bony little knees.

And then there is the biggest baby of all, who wants you to know she is feeling much better today, albeit a bit tired still.

I'm feeling better, thanks!

6 comments:

Janice Gillett said...

YEAHHHHHHHHHHH Charley!!!

The birds made me giggle ;o))

Anonymous said...

Charlie, your eyes still look a little droopy. Hope you feel a lot better soon. Carole will bring you your cheese treat when she brings rose. O'bear is comming to see his brover. You worry me Charlie! Take care Bev

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better Charley - I was worried about you!

Sharon

Jean said...

Bev, you are absolutely right - her eyes are droopy and sunken, giving her a "haggard" look - though it might also be the rapid increase in grey/white fur on her face which makes me think that.

Charley, of course, is quite sure that a piece of cheese will make everything right again!

Black Jack's Carol said...

So glad Charley is feeling better, and loved the baby stories. Adorable to see the tiny little bird heads drooping over the ledge.

Colleen said...

Good news about good dogs makes me a happy camper!

Darn! I would have loved to have seen a few photos of the doe and her babes. But baby birds will do!