Tuesday, July 21, 2009

When you know better, you do better.

Three months ago, I had not heard of a gas box, a piece of equipment used to euthanize animals. Two months ago, I knew there was an issue brewing concerning the use of CO2 gas boxes in the area I was about to move to, but did little to learn about the issue. And just over one month ago, on my fifth night in my new home, I attended a meeting of city council as a show of support for my friends who are trying to persuade council to bring an end to the use of CO2 to euthanize cats in this region. At that meeting, I heard a former animal control worker describe her experience euthanizing cats in the CO2 gas box. It was horrific.

And that was the start of an education which has left me flabbergasted.

At a follow up meeting I attended, one councilor expressed frustration at the contradictory information she was hearing from the company that operates the gas box in this area and from the delegation attempting to have it banned. She wanted to see the evidence, the facts, the professional and scientific material.

And, unlike the Grinch whose heart grew three sizes too large, my mouth grew three sizes too large – and I offered to gather the material and summarize it into an information package, with the assistance of two other members of the delegation.

I will be honest here – as a retired social scientist and university faculty member who has spent the past 30 years reading and writing academic papers I knew I was up to the task, but a big part of my motivation was to check out the facts for myself. I had heard that 18 American states have banned the gas box, with more pending, but I also heard it said that the American Veterinary Medical Association approved its use. I heard that Humane societies in Canada and the US considered it unacceptable and inhumane, and that the Canadian Veterinary Medical association considered lethal injection THE most humane method. And I learned that dogs in my region were euthanized only by lethal injection, but cats were put in the gas box.

I am not particularly militant, and I veer away from animal activists who are. I prefer the gentler, more rational approach, and will rise up in anger and take more aggressive action only when really backed to the wall on issues I feel very, very strongly about. Mention “PETA” and I run for the hills.

And so I sat down with my computer and my university library access code, and I researched. With the assistance of two women who have now become my friends, I read articles in veterinary journals and conference papers, and position statements from various veterinary, professional, and humane associations. And I read. And read. And read.

And what I learned was frightening. What I learned was heart breaking. What I learned was an education in itself.

The package we produced contains a four page summary paper on the position statements of various professional and humane societies nationally and internationally, and an eight page summary paper on the scientific research, along with a reference section of works cited (and online links) should the reader wish to learn even more.

For the purposes of this blog, I will sum up the research succinctly: small animals like cats, dogs and rabbits who are euthanized by CO2 have one of two experiences:

a) Low concentrations of CO2 and/or gradually filling a chamber with CO2 after the animal has been placed in it leads to aversive reactions, panic, and slow death through asphyxia. The animal suffocates as it attempts to climb the sides of the box to escape the gas, and frantically tries to claw its way out.

b) High concentrations of CO2 and/or placing the animal in a chamber pre-filled with 70% CO2 or higher leads to more immediate loss of consciousness but with greater initial pain. The carbon dioxide instantly converts the nasal mucus to carbonic acid. Loss of consciousness using this method still typically takes 45 seconds or longer, much longer for neonate and young animals like kittens.

I cannot live with that. Can you?

So far, three communities in BC have banned its use – New Westminster, Victoria, and Nanaimo. Two others – the City of Duncan and the District of North Cowichan – are currently considering their position. But countless other communities across Canada and the United States continue to use this archaic and inhumane form of euthanasia.

Dear reader, I challenge you. Find out how animals are euthanized by animal control in YOUR area. And if the gas box is still part of their equipment, take action.

In the words of Maya Angelou: “Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” I only hope the councils in this region will do better, now that we know they know better.

You can obtain a free copy of the information package by emailing us at banthegasbox [at] hotmail [dot] com.

Do it for the animals.

4 comments:

Janice Gillett said...

I wonder if the media here /there would be intersted in this peice jean??

Thanks for fighting for what is right and oh so wrong!!!

Life With Dogs said...

I am sick from reading this, as I should be. Horrific.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Jean for using your time, energy, and research expertise to help out with this most worthwhile cause.

I am fortunate to live in a community, Langley, where our animal control is run by a non-profit board that contracts to both the Township and City, and I can confirm (yes, I double-checked) that there is no gas box here. When there is a need to euthanize cats (health or temperament), it is done at a vet clinic with a licensed vet and by lethal injection.

I hope that everyone who learns of this issue and lives in a community where gas boxes are still in use, will put the same effort as you have, or more, into ending this inhumane practice.

I'm hoping and praying that your Township/City Mayor and Councillors will "know better" because of your efforts, and then "do better" for the cats.

Sharon

Malahoot said...

Thank you Jean for all your hard work on behalf of the animals! I wish there was more peole like you in this world :)