Monday, September 14, 2009

A frustrating day

I downloaded my pics of the Paws for a Cause walk this morning and discovered they all have a blurry film over them making them look like they are out of focus - looked at the camera lens and it has a big smudge all over it. Rats! I will clean up the best of the photos and post them shortly. On the positive side, the weather was perfect, the park was beautiful, the people were great, Sadie and I raised over $600 (THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!) and our team of six raised over $3000. The exact totals haven't come out yet, but by 11:00 yesterday morning nearly $12,000 had been raised in total for the local SPCA.

The day became more frustrating when I attended a meeting of the Finance and Administration committee of the District of North Cowichan, the committee which was asked to look into the gas box issue and report back. Despite the fact that the BC SPCA, the Humane Society of Canada, the Humane Society of the US, and countless other reputable organizations state the gas box is inhumane, and despite the fact that both the Canadian and the American Veterinary Medical Associations state that lethal injection is the MOST HUMANE method for euthanizing animals, and despite the fact that the mayor himself has said the extra money is not a significant amount in the total municipal budget, .....despite all that, the committee still moved, seconded and carried the following recommendation:
"That Council maintain its current practice of using carbon dioxide to euthanize feral, diseased and unwanted cats; and encourage cat owners to spay and neuter their cats."
The recommendation goes to Council on October 7th. But since all the councilors except two were on the committee.......well, you get the picture.

Then I came home to an email from the Gaming Commission to advise me that the Hearts and Noses potbellied pig sanctuary grant application for this year had been denied - every cent of it. Last year we received over $10,000 from them. Animal Welfare groups are just one of several casualties (including seniors and schools) of our premier's money grab of lottery money that had been promised to charities in the election campaigning. What a joke this premier is - has he kept a single promise?????

Next, as I took my dogs for a walk, a man with a criminal record who has just moved into a basement suite across the road, tried to make friends with my dogs and then stood watching me as I walked down the street. At the end of the block, I turned right, hidden by trees then did a quick about face and discovered he was still watching me. I calmly walked across the end of the block, out of sight and then, feeling uncomfortable about having left my back door unlocked decided to loop back home via the back alley. As I emerged from the alley at the other end of the block - there he was again! Standing there, watching me, having walked across the street and down past my house. I walked by, and he followed me and went back into his house. That just creeped me right out!

And lastly, poor little Oliver went to get a drink of water and got spread-eagled on the few inches between the rug and the runner and slipped right under the buffet while I was in my office. He was in full out panic when I came to his rescue, so panicky that he even consented to let me hold him tight and kiss his little head (actions he usually resists) while his little heart settled back down. He's having a lot of troubles staying upright these days, and even stumbles and falls on solid ground.

So....my upbeat blog is in a downer again. The good stuff though is that I got to see my piggies on the CBC 11:00 news last night - wonderful interview, Janice, and the piggies looked great! And again, thanks to everyone who sponsored the SPCA Paws for a Cause walk.

Tomorrow I will try to post something more cheerful and see what photos of yesterday's walk I can salvage for your entertainment.

Life with the critters is never boring. Sometimes I wish it were so.

3 comments:

Black Jack's Carol said...

Oh Jean, sometimes, life gets in the way of writing a happy blog, and that's just the way it is.

The pictures, blurred or not, will be great to see and I'm glad your walk was fun and such a financial success.

Quite honestly, I'm shocked at the outcome of the gas box issue. If cost difference is not significant (not that it should be an issue given the suffering element), what on earth could be their reasoning?

I'm so disappointed to have missed the Hearts on Noses news story, and the funding cut is very sad. Are there any other avenues open to raise some funds?

I'd like to think that fellow was just interested in your critters, but have to admit, it doesn't sound good. I guess locking the door is not an option for now.

And the most worrisome of all is your dear Oliver. Good thoughts and heartfelt wishes for a better day tomorrow!

Patience-please said...

Oh dear! Such huge congratulations due for raising so much money. The rest of the day - 'frustrating' doesn't say the half of it.

Today is a new day, thank goodness.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the camera lens. Was Tess's nose anywhere near it? She has a wicked very fast tongue.LOL
Poor Oliver. He is such a sweet old gentleman.
I'm so glad that I have Hugo. I know Jen's boarder has seen him on the front porch barking at strangers and looking quite intimidating. I really wish that guy would get out of Dodge.

Else