Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Beauty of Winter

Swallowfield in Winter


December 23rd - how did it get to be so close to Christmas so quickly? I am, in some ways, fortunate to be exempt from the pressures which so many others seem to feel at this time of year. My sister is taking care of my mom this year, and my daughter and son-in-law will be going to my brother's for Christmas dinner. A few small gifts for family, delivered on my last trip to the mainland, and my shopping was done. I am horribly negligent when in comes to sending out Christmas greetings - cards just never seem to make it to the postoffice though my intentions are always good when I buy them in November.

As much as I love family gatherings at Christmas, I equally love a quiet Christmas week with my animals, a Christmas drink or two with friends, a few volunteer shifts at the SPCA and the Chemainus theatre, a walk on a deserted trail or beach. And although it is technically just the beginning of winter, I love that winter solstice has come and we are now headed for longer hours of daylight. Before long, the crocuses will be popping up, followed by the daffodils in their skirts of yellow, and the scarlet tulips and brilliant blue irises.

But even on this third day of winter, there is colour and beauty everywhere - not just from the artificial lights that adorn the houses but in the fields, along the streams, across the estuary.

The Wednesday Walkers headed to Swallowfield once again. It had been a few weeks since I last took the dogs there, weeks in which the trees had dropped the last of their leaves and the yellows, browns and golds had changed to silvers and greys with touches of scarlet from the rosehips that line the trails like cranberry strings on a Christmas tree.

Rosehips


With a borrowed camera, I snapped away at the dogs as they rambled along the trails, splashed through pools of water, climbed the bluffs above the estuary, taste tested water-logged sticks (and a dead fish and a dead bird and some bear poop, but we won't mention that, will we, dogs?)

Wolfhounds on a walk



Wolfhound

Estuary in winter

Dogs exploring water

Are ya comin', mom?


My stick, Mine, MINE!

Archie and Hugo

Archie


A beautiful walk in a beautiful place.

And... a few pictures from yesterday, when the sun was shining brightly and the dogs and I wandered down along the beach in the crisp morning air:

Winter weeds on the beach

The bay on a cold winter's morning

Sunlight on Wood

Blue water, green grass

Shasta - a neighbour's dog who clearly likes having his picture taken!

Gone Crabbing

The Beach in Black and White



No matter how hectic your week, no matter how much more you still have to do before Christmas Day, take a moment out to enjoy the beauty of winter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures Jean. You are right that borrowed camera takes much better pictures thant the one you tried and said it left something to be desired. These are so clear and crisp. I love the one of Archie on the hill.
Else

Black Jack's Carol said...

A beautiful post with great photos and as always, food for thought. Thanks, Jean. LIke you, I am hopeless with cards. I had such great plans of making my own. Even bought new printer cartridges and special "greeting card" paper. Bill says people love getting cards after Christmas, so maybe mine will be "Happy New Year" ones. And, like you, Christmas seems to have snuck up on me. I don't have to tell you to enjoy the season, because I know you already are doing that. Thanks for your wonderful blog, and the very best to you and yours in 2010!

When a Problem Comes Along, You Must Whippet... said...

What a lovely post Jean. The photos really capture the gorgeous area where you live! Have a very happy and quiet Christmas!!