Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Dogs, Cats, Pigs and Boats

It was a pleasant enough day - sunny with cloudy patches, mild temperature, and easy travelling. I had made ferry reservations as I had an appointment in Duncan in the morning and an appointment to see Emma in Abbotsford in the afternoon. I needn't have bothered - with the reservation, that is. There were approximately fifty cars on the whole ship. In fact, I had the very front position, on the main deck centre prow.



I arrived in good time and spent my half hour with Emma, my yellow lab that lives with my ex.



I spent the time refreshing her training, rewarding her with bits of her dinner kibble and a new squeeky toy. She's a happy girl, though I think a very lonely one in her big back yard all by herself. From the large boards nailed to the top of the fence and gates, I'm guessing she has been escaping, looking for company or adventure. Her boredom has also led her to dig many holes in the yard - a new behaviour since my last visit. She was always a social butterfly and I so wish she had a canine companion. At five, she still has the energy of a puppy. But then, that's a lab for you - they outgrow puppyhood somewhere around eight or nine!

I spent the next day thrift-store-crawling with my friend Ann, and the following day checking out more thrift stores with Janice from Hearts on Noses. I finally found the stereo cabinet I have been looking for, and a few other treasures, and still have lots of time to visit with the piggies.

I think they were happy to see me:










I spent some time taking photos of the pigs while Janice was busy feeding:















And of Janice's dog Buddy, too:




We sat in the Great Room where we were entertained by a very vocal Mouse, who is now a House Pig after receiving post-surgical nursing care indoors and being smart enough to realize when she was onto a good thing! But she is very well behaved, housebroken, and asks only for a pile of blankets for her "nest" and as many treats as she can manipulate from soft-hearted guests.



On Friday, I visited my friend Ellen, where Kinley and Finnia kept us entertained:





I like these two shots in black and white:






Most entertaining of all was watching Finnia use Kinley's tail as a toy - Kinley didn't seem to mind in the least, even when Finnia taste-tested it:




The weather turned drizzly on Saturday, when I took mom for lunch and then for a drive around White Rock and Crescent Beach. We stopped at Blackie's Spit for a while, where the gulls joined us watching a barge pull its load of machinary across the bay.








The ferry home was as light as the one there - I counted 47 cars and 5 big trucks. Once again, I was front and centre at the prow. I can't help but wonder how much longer the Duke Point-Nanaimo run will be continued, with routes operating at such a loss.

Home to my dogs and cat, who greeted me with great enthusiasm as usual. And another month has flown by.

It's good to be home. It's always good to be home.

1 comment:

Black Jack's Carol said...

Welcome back, Jean. Isn't that "I'm home" feeling just the best? I missed your posts. Lovely to get all the updates: Emma, the pigs, your Mom, Janice, and even your new stereo cabinet. My favourite shots are also those black and whites, although you captured lots of piggie personality too. They do seem to look up with big grins on their faces. I also enjoyed Finnia's play session with Kinley's tail. Funny how some dogs and cats seem to have worked out an agreement. I'm happy for Mouse.. I wonder if she ever thinks back to life before rescue, and ponders her good fortune.