Wednesday, February 10, 2010

SPRING!

My online American friends on one of the dog forums I frequent, as well as some of my friends from eastern Canada, are griping about the amount of snow they have to shovel.

So, it is time to post the photos I took around my adopted home town this Sunday:

Pussywillows

Snowdrops

Viburnum?

Primroses


Crocus

Camelia

Lily - Glacial lily, I think?

?????

As well as spring flowers, the birds are saying spring is here:

Ducks are pairing up and showing signs of mating



Little birds are house hunting


Oliver thinks it is warm enough to go wading:




And, of course, the most telling sign of all:




So, all I can say to my snow-bound friends is: Nyah-nyah-nyah......
(heeheeheeheehee).

7 comments:

EvenSong said...

Lovely! Though we've been snow-free for a couple of weeks, temps up to the mid-forties during the day, I'm still not ready to assume that spring is here...

How's Princess Belle doing?

Jean said...

Belle's doing a bit better today, thanks EvenSong. The real test will come when I see how her little body handles the rice and cottage cheese she ate this morning. So far, so good.

And having posted about spring, I am now keeping my fingers crossed I didn't jinx the weather - it feels DARN cold out there today!

Anonymous said...

What a feast for the eyes these signs of spring are! I've seen some Forsythia in bloom here on the mainland already and daffodils 10 inches tall although not open yet, but I think your flora and fauna is just a wee bit ahead of ours here.

EvenSong is right though, Mother Nature will be keeping us on our toes for a while yet.

The picture labelled "?????" looks like "Oregon Grape" to me :-).

Ellen

Jean said...

Ellen, I thought it was Oregon Grape also, but when I looked it up online, all the pictures showed oregon grape having yellow flowers. Perhaps different soils produce different colours.

Anonymous said...

Jean, you are right. I just looked as well and only see Oregon Grape with yellow flowers. I wonder if they can still change color? If not, I wonder too what it is? Hmmmmm, now I want to know...

E.

Black Jack's Carol said...

Lovely flowers, but the picture that made me laugh was the grass cutting one. Yesterday, someone was also cutting grass near my school. To me, it seems a bit early, but I do think some men love to get out their mowers. Maybe, that's the acceptable male way of heralding Spring:)

Janice Gillett said...

Gosh and i saw the "cutting" of delicious green grass as crime to all the grazing animals who would LOVE that lol.

Glad Belle is feeling better and we are not under all that the snow back east is getting. Brutal..