Monday, February 15, 2010

Tears for my friends


Pearl, the beautiful borzoi from our Wednesday Walks, went to the Rainbow Bridge this past Saturday. A few weeks ago, she showed signs of being unwell, and from there she deteriorated quite swiftly. Though vet tests found nothing definitive, a fast-growing brain tumour is suspected.

When I featured Pearl in a blog entry last spring, I said I had seldom met a dog who so well suited her name. Pearl was just that - a pearl, with her almost translucent colour, the soft texture of her silky hair, her classic looks, her class and grace without being ostentatious. She was one gem of a dog.

Not only beautiful on the outside, she had a beautiful spirit, too. Quiet, gentle, easy going, an all-round wonderful girl. She will be very much missed.

To Karen and Norm, her humans, you have my deepest, heartfelt condolences. Know that she is never far away, for she will always live in your hearts and the hearts of all whose lives she touched. She was one very, very special girl.

Run free, Pearl. Run free at the Rainbow Bridge.


The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, not Pearl! I am so very sorry to hear of this. I had the pleasure of meeting Pearl at a Lure Coursing trial in 2008 and she truly was a beautiful soul, so regal in her movements, so gentle in her manners. Please pass on my heartfelt condolences to Karen and Norm

Run free sweet girl.

Ellen

Anonymous said...

Jean what a beautiful tribute to Pearl. I know Karen and Norm will be deeply touched.
Pearl you will be deeply missed my all of us that knew you and loved your beautiful spirit.

Else

EvenSong said...

Oh! What a shame to lose such an elegant girl. Thoughts and prayers to Karen and Norm, and all Pearl's friends in the Wednesday Walk group.

Anonymous said...

I never met Pearl but was absolutely smitten with her beauty when I saw her photos. I'm very sad to learn such a glorious dog is no longer gracing this earth. She will be missed. My condolences to all.

Deb S.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful Pearl. RIP sweet girl.

My sincere condolences to your Mom and Dad. I don't know you folks, but would give you a hug if I could. Losing a treasured dog is one of the biggest heartbreaks.

Sincerely,
Sharon

Black Jack's Carol said...

A beautiful tribute, Jean. I have admired Pearl from the first time you introduced her. How very sad to lose her, although her spirit will, I know, live on. My heart goes out to Karen and Norm.