Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hello September!

I awoke this morning and let the dogs out, only to notice that overnight the trees have turned red, the dry straw of the unwatered lawn is turning green again, and the trees have started to drop their leaves.

View from my back door, September 1st

I am up before the sun rises, and it will be almost dark when I walk the dogs in the evening. How did the summer fly by so fast? I am yearning for a long, long fall of crisp mornings and cool but sunny days with clear blue skies. Such is my favourite weather, and here on the west coast we are sometimes blessed with it until well into November.

For me, another year has flown by, for today is my birthday. I had great plans to take one or more of the dogs to a far-away park or beach, where I would enjoy the outdoors and share a picnic lunch with them. Instead, I have been humming and hawing over photos to enter in the upcoming Cowichan Exhibition, staring at a sink full of dirty dishes and a growing menagerie of dust bunnies, and accomplishing little. In fact, I didn't even walk the dogs this morning - a first for me since I retired. Phone calls interrupted my routine, and that was the end of good intentions. Oh well - it's my birthday and I can spend it any way I please! I told the dogs it was their gift to me - a morning off.

My friend Else is bringing fish and chips and a bottle of wine over for dinner this evening, so I will do a wee bit of celebrating after all.

And now, I think I'll have a little nap. Birthday girls are allowed to do that. Maybe the elves will sneak in and wash my dishes while I sleep.

15 comments:

Black Jack's Carol said...

Enjoy your nap, your day off, and your celebration with Else this evening. You surely have earned a day to spend any way you please! Happy Birthday, Jean!

Brigid said...

Happy birthday, Jean!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jean!

Wishing for you the fall you want - lots of sun and crisp autumn days.

Fish and chips sounds like an awesome birthday dinner. Don't forget the tartar sauce!

Cheers, and all the best on your special day.

Sharon & Taleah

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Jean! Thanks for putting on the TG Reunion last Sunday. Yes, birthday girls are allowed to have a day off! Hope you enjoyed your day and have a great evening.

Cheers,
Barbara
Victoria

Karen said...

Happy Birthday, Jean. Wishing you a wonderful year ahead.

Royal K9 Korner said...

Happy Birthday Aunty Jean!
Hope you have the BESTEST ESTEST day EVER!!
Mom gave us a special Jerky treat cookie today in honour of your special day. COOL eh!
Sloppy Licks and tail wags
King & The Royals
Oh mom and dad say Happy birthday as well :-)

Duchess Sammy said...

Double what King said Aunty Jean. BUT Princess Molly and I wanted to let you know it was "US" who tippy pawed in to wash up your dishes. Shhh Molly she'll never hear us we're so sneeky" EEK watch out for that kitty dish there.. CRASH! CLANG! BANG! Oh dear oh dear. Oh well.... Hope you had a PERFECT DAY Aunty.
Love n puppydog licks. XOX

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday!!! Hope you had a good one :)

EvenSong said...

Dead computer this week, so a happy belated birthday to you! Hope the fish and chips were crunchy and good, and that the dogs were willing to wait for a later walk. Cheers! from everyone here at EvenSong Farm.

Sheryl said...

Happy Belated Birthday. That's what I get for not checking in on your Blog yesterday.......I missed your birthday.

Hope you had a great day!

Caroline said...

hope you had a wonderful birthday full of doggie kisses and Allie shared some of the fish & chips with you,lol

Lisa B said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEAN!!

I hope you celebrated in the sunshine. I hear birthdays last a whole week now (according to most of my friends anyways : )....so you still have lots of time this week to spoil yourself.

Anonymous said...

happy happy birthday Jean...do what you want..the weather is amazing!!! We are in Whidbey Island right now...feel like I am in some tropical paradise..without the humitidy..

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Happy B'day!!! I hope you had a great day and wishing you health and happiness in the coming year.
Cora

Colleen said...

Happy Birthday Jean from me and my pack! Hope the fish is delightfully airy and the chips are scrumptious!