Friday, December 23, 2011

Charley's Will, Petey's Inheritance

Shortly after Charley passed away, I received the following beautiful poem from my friend Gail.  The accredited author is Luis Delgado:

A Dog's Will

Before humans die, they write their Last Will and Testament, give their home and all they have to those they leave behind.  If, with my paws, I could do the same, this is what I'd ask....

To a poor and lonely Stray, I'd give my happy home.  My bowl and cozy bed, soft pillows and all my toys.
The lap, which I loved so much, the tender loving touch.
The hand that stroked my fur,  and sweet voice which called my name.
I'd will to the sad, scared shelter dog, the place I had in my human's loving heart, of which there seemed no bounds.

So when I die, please do not say, "I will never have a pet again, for the loss and pain is more than I can stand."
Instead, go find an unloved dog.  One whose life has held no joy or hope, and give MY place to HIM.
This is the only thing that I can give .....The love I left behind.
This is my inheritance! My Last Will and Testament.


I know if Charley had left a will, those would have been her words.  And while I expect to adopt another dog or two in the coming year, today we address the spirit of the will by welcoming a new foster dog to our home - a dog who, without a doubt, fits the above description of those Charley would want to help.
Please do not skip this photo, as hard as it is to look at.  It is the 'before' picture of a sad unloved dog.  If ever you doubt there is a need for rescue, consider this photo.  This is Petey, when he arrived at animal control a couple of days ago:


The good people at Broken Promises Rescue responded to the shelter's call for help - a shelter was no place for this dog.  Petey is blind and appears to also be deaf.  The vet believes he is at least twelve years old.  His blindness is due to neglect - likely neglected eye infections - in which his eyes are now completely destroyed and will likely need to be removed.  His teeth are also destroyed - nearly all will be pulled when he is ready for surgery.  He was, as you can see, a matted mess.  He has now been bathed, groomed, and been to the vet.  He's on antibiotics and pain relief.  Here is his 'after' photo, courtesy of Broken Promises:


And for all he has been through, despite months or years of living hell,  he is a funny, sweet, loving boy who likes nothing better than being cuddled and who is already showing signs of being the male version of a Diva.  I brought him home from Victoria this afternoon, and he quickly took charge of my lap, much to the cat's disgust.  Then he chowed down on a dish of food, pranced around the back yard with a little guidance from me, wasn't the least bit fazed by Sadie or Becky or Allie, made a lot of squeeky noises and a few barks, and after an incredible effort at remaking his bed to get it 'just right' (I have never seen a dog put so much effort into making a bed!), settled down in Belle's old basket, with Charley's old blanket.  He then continued to grouse and complain until I covered him with his fuzzy-lined coat.  Once appropriately covered, he promptly went to sleep:



Welcome, Petey, welcome.  May you enjoy the bed and bowl bequeathed to old shelter dogs by those that I have loved.
                                                                    **************
Note:
Surgery for Petey and others like him is expensive. Please consider making a donation to Broken Promises Rescue, a registered charity, to help cover such costs. You'll find donation information on their website. Tell them Petey sent you.

9 comments:

georgia little pea said...

i read that will recently at another blog. it's so beautiful. it made me weep.

Petey's condition is terrible. lucky he found you guys.

have a lovely Christmas and New Year, Jean. HUGS x

Cathy, Che and Jeepers said...

Jean, you are truly an inspiration. Lucky Petey to have come under your care.

EvenSong said...

Welcome, Petey! You've found your way to a great home.

"God bless us, everyone."

Black Jack's Carol said...

Beautiful posts, Jean. This one, and the last were beautifully written and as with all of your writing, straight from the heart. I think about you often, going about your days, finding humour and happiness in the midst of painful losses. Welcome, Petey! My oh my, did you ever luck out! Charley would be proud of his mama!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jean this is awesome..read about him on Brindle Facebook..this is wonderful news for such an neglected little soul..he will thrive with you..

Charley girl you must be so proud of Momma.

Brigid said...

What a wonderful tribute to Charley - and bless your big warm heart, that you are able to do this for a sad little dog. He couldn't be in better hands.

Wishing you Christmas joys, Jean, and new hope in the New Year

Anonymous said...

Poor Petey. He sure was a terrible mess. He's cleaned up very nicely and seems VERY content with you. I'm looking forward to meeting him.
I too love the will. I've never read it before but it is so approperate. Charley would indeed be very proud.

Else

Anonymous said...

Jean, you rock...... thank you for all that you do in rescue.
Bev Inglis

Unknown said...

I have never read A Dogs Will before. Beautiful!! Oh Petey I am sorry that you were not treated properly by your people. The change in the before & after is HUGE. We will pray that he continues to improve & forget all about the life he had before. Thank you for taking him in :)