Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Peas, Please

I knew it would happen sooner or later.  Eddie LOVES vegetables - any kind of vegetables.  He has been watching me pick peas for the last couple of weeks, and I usually share a few with him as I pick.  Day before yesterday, I glanced over to the bed where the peas were and saw this:



No, those vines weren't hanging over the edge and onto the ground two minutes earlier.  Eddie figured out how to drag them down where he could harvest the peas.

Yum, yum, yum!


His technique includes a combination of mouth-to-vine and the single-paw-hold:




He carefully picks off the peas, eats them pod and all, and leaves the vine.



Because we have an abundance of peas and they are nearly at the end of their season, he didn't get in trouble.  I have warned him, though, that there will be big trouble if he helps himself to cucumbers when they finally start to form.  Unfortunately, I expect he's already planning his cucumber-thieving strategy.  Cucumbers just happen to be his very favourite, best-of-the-best, I'll-do-anything-for-some, vegetable.   I just may have to re-install the green snow fence I used when the grass seed was getting established.

Cucumbers?  Did sumbody say cucumbers?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute...... you are lucky to have a dog who loves his veggies... as they are good for him!
My mom had a little dog who's name was Penny.
She used to grow rows of peas and tomatoes just for Penny. She was also gentle about the way she picked them without damaging the plant.
Wendy J.

georgia little pea said...

I love this post. Eddie had good technigue! and that face at the end. Do you think he's sorry one tiny bit? NO!!! Rufus used to do this with our grape vine. Yeah, you heard right. I didn't know about grapes back then. He would check on them every time he was up on the deck and pluck them when they were ripe. He drooled for them!

I've never given Georgia cues. We don't eat them that much. I'll try it next time I use some. She's more a fruit girl though.

Thanks BTW, for all your wisdom the last few days. I'm a little sorry I got started because its spewing out of me like there's no tomorrow now. Can't wait to get back to passing gas stories ;)

Charlene and Storm said...

ahhh eddie is so cute getting his 5 a day all by himself xxx
stormy loves a bit of cucumber too LOL!!! he is very particular tho, i have to cut the skin off for him and i have to take the skin off apples and slice them into nice bit size peices LOL!!
good luck defending your cucumbers!
xxx

Del said...

lol Im so happy to know Im not the only one with Garden Thiefin' doggies.
Duchess has continually trod on and eat each and every strawberry that ripens. I seriously have not had one batch to myself yet. Then she saunters over to the pear tree to check how their coming on. By the time they're ripe she knows just which one she can reach. And King... (bless his soul) will stand for hours searching just the right raspberries. Can't have any unripe bitter ones you know. Darn thiefin' dogs anyway! Who needs em lol

Unknown said...

Eddie you are too cute & talented! Love that you were able to get the shots of him in "action" :)

Anonymous said...

Eddie - you are cute and so smart - figured out how to "help yourself" without harming the pea vines. Good boy.

I love fresh peas too, yum.

Sharon

Funder said...

Oh that is too cute! I think your cukes are in trouble...

Anonymous said...

Hey Eddie Leave some for me.

Else