Thursday, August 16, 2012

Two-legged Charlie

Charlie G with Sadie, November 2011
Rest in Peace, my good friend.

I heard this morning that my dear friend, Charlie (also known to my blog readers, friends, and family as 'Two-legged Charlie' to differentiate him from my old dog Charley) passed away on Saturday while awaiting a heart transplant.

Charlie and I met over forty years ago in Calgary, Alberta.  The man  I was seeing (and eventually married) offered to help with the Scout Troop that Charlie's father led.  Because we were new to Calgary, and because his whole family are just kind and generous people, they invited us over and we all became friends. When my daughter was born, it was his mom I chose for her godmother.

Charlie and I remained friends for life - through marriages and divorces, through kids heading off to university, and job changes and moves and joys and sorrows.  He loved to tease me about being the 'older woman' in his life - a cougar -  because I was two weeks older than he.  Each year on my birthday, he began his phone call to me with "So...how does it feel to be OLD?", and I would call him two weeks later and respond "So, now you know how it feels to be old!" And we would laugh, every single time.

We chatted regularly over the past several years,  and he visited me as recently as last November.  It was a great visit. But on his last evening here, we talked about his failing health.  I think we both knew it might be the last time we would see each other, though he was ever the optimist and always looked for the positive in everything and everyone. (I still remember the time he gave me heck for writing two gloomy blog posts in a row!).  This September, our birthday month, won't be the same.

My condolences to his children, Adam and Amber, and to all his family and those who loved him.
He was a good and kindly man.

Rest in Peace, Charlie.  I'm so sorry you won't be growing old along with me.

9 comments:

georgia little pea said...

Jean, I don't even know what to say, losing yet another old friend like this, even if it was a little expected. My thoughts are with you and I'm really REALLY hoping you'll get a good stretch of happiness very soon. My sympathies to Charlie's family as well. Hugs X

Dom said...

I am so so sorry to hear *hugs*

Barry Knister said...

This is an obviously heartfelt tribute to your friend. The details you present portray a man anyone would have been glad to know.

Anonymous said...

Jean I'm so very sorry to hear of the loss of your dear friend.

Else

Anonymous said...

My sincerest condolences Jean. Losing a friend, especially someone who has shared so much of your life as Charlie did, is not easy.

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss Jean.
You have had quite a run with losing some of your very nearest and dearest in recent years. Can't be easy.
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Jean, I just read this and I'm so sad for you. As we get older loss becomes such a significant part of life. I hope two-legged Charlie and four-legged Charley are now keeping each other company.

Hugs,
Deb

Black Jack's Carol said...

I have enjoyed each post you did about "Two-legged Charlie" and am very saddened to read that he has died, jean. There was always a feeling of humour and kindness in his expressions and in your descriptions of interactions with him. I am so sorry that you have lost yet another dear presence in your life, but celebrate the treasured and beautiful friendship that will live on in your heart.

Unknown said...

So very sorry for the loss of your dear friend. Sending big hugs.