Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Cyberfriends, Real Friends, and a wonderful day.

I can't remember how Carol and I first connected.  She is the writer/photographer behind the blog Bikesbirdsbeasts.  Somewhere along the way - I think about four or five years ago - our virtual paths crossed. I'm guessing that we were both reading and commenting on someone else's blog, enjoyed each others comments, and clicked on the links that led us to each other's blog.  We soon became cyberfriends. Eventually, while I still lived on the mainland,  we met in person when she and her friend Bill came out to help with the sanctuary pigs.  And thus a virtual friendship became one in reality.

Carol and Bill and Black Jack the dog were on Salt Spring Island last week and came over to my island to catch Chemainus Theatre's performance of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat, and then joined Eddie and I for a walk through my favourite local park, Osborne Bay Park.  The weather was perfect, the beach relaxing, and as we sat on a log chatting and enjoying the scenery we saw a family of river otters cavorting in the sea.  They were beyond the reach of my little camera, but Carol had packed her big one - so I will leave it to her to post about them on her blog.  (Hurry up, Carol -  now you have another hundred or so people waiting to see your next post! **insert evil grin**)

I did take these shots, though, which I post with their permission:

Carol, Bill, and Black Jack
at Osborne Bay Park

The photographer with the
very large lens!

Black Jack keeping an eye on ducks and geese
and otters too!

Carol, Black Jack and Eddie take a stroll along the beach

Well, of course I had to take a photo
of Carol taking a photo of me!

We had a wonderful visit, topped off with dinner and a cold beer at the local pub, and then they caught the ferry back to Salt Spring.  Thanks for coming, Carol and Bill and Black Jack, and thanks for dinner too!


5 comments:

georgia little pea said...

So these things DO happen in real life :) I guess your photo is going to turn up on BBB soon?

Black Jack's Carol said...

Oh Jean, I am so behind (!) but thrilled to see this post. What a great visit we had! "Joseph" was great fun, Osborne Bay Park was a dream, and having a chance to chat with you in person and meet your beautiful Eddie just the best. We arrived home Monday evening, and I promise to post the pictures soon, my very favourite being the one of you and Eddie together. I'll leave a comment here when I do, so that your readers can drop by for a visit. Thank you so much for showing us around and for spending time with us, when I know you had a hundred and one other things on the go.

Penelope Postcards said...

Your “sunset” and “foggy” photos are wonderful captures evoking the moods of the moment beautifully. Also, I think the top shot you took of the bikesbirdsbeasts team is one of the nicest I’ve seen of the three together. Looks like they really enjoyed their visit with you and your critters, Jean. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the pictures of some of my favourite people: Bill (my brother),Carol and Black Jack!!! Congratulations upon your ribbons in the photography competition!
Phyllis Webster

Jean said...

I'm so glad you had a good time, Carol, and I enjoyed seeing my world through your eyes.
Penelope, I love that first picture of the three of them - it will be a keeper for sure.
Phyllis, these are some of my favourite people (/dog) too. We had a lovely visit.