Sunday, May 5, 2013

One year ago today

One year ago today, my family and our friends said our final goodbyes to my sister, Carole, at her Celebration of Life.  It was a warm sunny day in the Okanagan, with clear blue skies as we watched the ashes drift away on the waters and the helium balloons rise to the heavens.



Early yesterday morning, I sat on my back deck cradling my coffee mug in my hands, watching the baby birds in the bird house under the eaves of the shed.  My sister's camera, which I brought home with me last  May, sat ready on my colourful little bistro table in front of me. I knew the babies were ready to fly - most leave about ten days after hatching , and mine had been born nearly two weeks ago.

Like that day a year ago, it was warm and sunny, a perfect day for saying goodbye and for new beginnings.


Dad, I think I'm ready!

I am a fierce and brave eagle!

What're you lookin' at?




Look to the right

Look to the left

It's a long way down.
Maybe I'll wait a bit.

One can easily spend hours and hours waiting for the perfect shot.  Unfortunately, this little guy still didn't take the plunge by the time I had to leave.  By the time I returned, the little guy was gone, along with Mama Bird.
He's gone, lady.
Now WE get the window seat!

Papa stayed around to help the other two - they spent one more night here, and while I was in the shower this morning they all took off.

Such is the life of a photographer -- unless time stands still, there are precious moments missed.  And though I did not see the little birds take wing, I know my sister did.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice Jean-Thanks-the Okanagan Crew

georgia little pea said...

That left a lump in my throat and my eyes are welling again, bloody hell. I miss you, Jean. Will try to read your older posts soon. I hope you've been enjoying your spring. Hugs X

MrsB said...

I know that feeling. I waited for hours for bluebirds to fledge. As soon as I hung it up for the evening - poof! they were gone.

Dom said...

I can't believe it's been a year already...

Anonymous said...

That was a lovely post Jean.

Else