Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Oh the glories of spring!

Crofton Lake Reflections
(c) 2014 Jean Ballard
The day had been a long one and I was tired and achy - I can't remember what I'd been up to (even though it was only yesterday) but the last thing I felt like doing was going for a hike.  Then Bonnie, Keaghan's mom, phoned.  And I couldn't say no.  So even though it was four o'clock, and my dogs are used to getting their dinner at 4:30 or 5:00, Eddie and I headed out the door to meet our friends for the hike up to Crofton Lake.

OHHH BOY!!!
(Sorry it's out of focus, but Eddie was just soooo happy!)
The trail is magical in spring - pools of winter runoff  are full of bright yellow skunk cabbage, the moss on the tree stumps sprouts wee little toadstools, hidden ponds reflecting rays of sun amid the brush.









Late afternoon on a warm spring day has a very special feeling to it - with a few hours of daylight still but not overly bright or hot - just a warm, comforting, chicken-soup sort of  feeling as the trees shine golden, and the birds rustle and whisper as they make their final flights of the day, and the lake is so still and calm and beautiful one can sit and watch it for hours. Meditation time.




For us perhaps, but not for Keaghan who had the zoomies and splashed in and out of the lake and exuberantly greeted the angler and the cyclist and the woman with dogs that we met on the trail. Nor for Eddie who trotted back and forth along the shore, racing back to us each time we called his name.





Keaghan's exuberance and Eddie's happy smile just made it all the more worthwhile.  Aches were gone, fatigue dispelled, we sat by the lake for an hour or more.  Even youthful Keaghan eventually settled down to enjoy the scenery.




Or in the case of Eddie, to become  the scenery.


When we returned to our cars, the dogs were tired and we were relaxed and at peace.


By the time I got home, close to 7 PM, Mitzi and Shiloh were a little miffed, but dinner quickly pacified them and with Eddie all tired out from the hike, the peace of the afternoon's hike continued into the evening.

Gotta love these April days.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sound like you and Bonnie had a wonderful time in the spring sunshine. It certainly is a wonderful time of year for walking the dogs.

Else

Brigid said...

Lovely pics! It's my favourite time of the year...

Erika said...

Beautiful photos (as always!)
I love the spring, when I can finally start to plant in my veggie garden.

Black Jack's Carol said...

When I have a beautiful walk such as you have just shown and described so eloquently, I feel as though I breathe differently. As though the air enters my lungs more freely and my whole body responds. I think that is what you have expressed here, Jean. What a lovely post!